Tuesday 27 January 2009

Wonderful Pentillie

Zoe Douglas [14.01.09]

Hello to all at wonderful Pentillie....

Just a quick email after having a nosey at your website. I am quite sure that you have had lots of emails after the TV appearance last night..mine being another one of those emails! I watched the programme with my Mum and we have both now fallen in love with your beautiful home and estate. Even if you just had the grounds we would have been entranced but add that to the beautiful house and all the cottages...well, we were like pigs in clover watching all the wonderful buildings and grounds being slowly revealed.

We spend an awful lot of time in Cornwall (our spiritual home we think!) and were so excited to learn that you will be opening the house this year and we agreed that a a visit will be a must when we next visit from up country (we are in Wales). I have to say that the two things that grabbed my attention the most were the super little Bathing House (what a complete gem) and the walled garden. I have had a long and enduring love of these structures and am completely fascinated by them. Quite a strange interest for a twenty something girl but I love to imagine the hard work and camaraderie of all those who toiled in these amazing gardens 100 years ago. The fact that the gardens fed a whole house and all its guests, day in day out all year round is no mean feat and I hope your plans include restoring the structure to its former glory...it would be the perfect butter icing on your already beautiful cake!! I have watched the series Victorian Kitchen Garden on DVD and read all of Peter Thodays books on such gardening so many times its silly...highly recommended reading for you guys! There is a walled garden close to where we live but the owners have turned it into a modern study centre....quite sad really as the wonderful thing about the Victorian Kitchen Garden is the the romance of the times gone by juxtaposed with the sheer practicality and bloody hard work the old time gardener put in day in day out! No modern stuff, just learned knowledge passed form generation to generation.....wonderful!
Gosh what a lot of waffle...anyways I just wanted to say we loved your story, your home and your enthusiasm for what you are doing and hoping to do. Keep up the hard work, there are many many of us that appreciate you sharing your home with us.

Oh and if you ever run any gardening holidays...sign me up, I would love to get my paws dirty in that kitchen garden! Can I sleep in the bathing house...?

Take Care Pentillie
Zoe
x

No comments:

Post a Comment